Monday, June 28, 2010

Summer

I signed the kids up for swim lessons again against their will, in hopes that this time they would catch on to the wonderful world of swimming. I have to confess...I am not the best swimmer (ok I can actually just dog paddle and pray that I will make it to shore), quite frankly, I am quite terrified of water...well at least the ocean. I always feel like it will swallow me up any second into it's big, deep, blue waters and you will never hear of Jody Stone ever again. But this is the very reason why I am determined to make my kids great swimmers, so they won't go through life like me, scared to death of water. Isn't that what parenthood is for...to make your children just a little better than you, to give them opportunities to be the best they can be?

Sure enough, they made their dear mother proud. It was so fun to see them this go around become more confident and relaxed in the water, even if I had to take them at times kicking and screaming to lessons. Who knew by the end of this session that they would actually be asking for more? I guess it's time for me to conquer my fear of water and take "the plunge".

Yes, that is a black eye on Chase. He got whipped in the eye by our neighbor with a jump rope. It was one of those times when the mama bear came out in me and I wanted to protect my cub... it took all that I had to not lash out at the boy for not being more careful. The neighbor is ten, so I feel like he was old enough to know better than to whip around a jump rope in in front of my four year old son's face. Then again, am I a careless mom to let my four year old son use a butter knife that is three inches from his face to scoop out his jam ? The kids have had a ball picking the raspberries around our house to make their homemade jam.

Aub's finally started walking and is cruising around everywhere, like typical "Stone-kid" fashion she chose not to walk until 14 months old. It still always amuses me to see their cute, squatty bodies wabbling around...it is too cute!

She has a little bit of curl in the back of her hair also. I'm sure the humidity here really helps it bounce up.

She is also a little talker now, "Mom, Dad, boo, Aub's, and baby" are her favorites. I love to hear her little babbling as she walks around as if she has so much to say. She is growing too quickly...where does the time go?

8 comments:

B-Rad said...

Your really shouldn't have a fear of drowning in the deep blue ocean. There's enough salt, algae, microorganisms, etc. in the water that it really requires no effort to float. What you should be afraid of are sharks. They won't hesitate to bite a dangling leg or two.

juliejohnson673@gmail.com said...

Poooooor Chase.... I can't wait to hear what you said to ?. I'll bet MAMA BEAR came out. And he's lucky that his eye didn't get blinded.

I wish that I could just pick that cute little Aub out of the computer and beat that butt. She is so cute and those curls I hope will stay. Her hair has grown and I love it short like that. Can't wait to get there. Love you and especially for finally getting new pictures on.

My swimmers look cute in their towels. Time for mom to get into that water with them. Love Granny...

Paige said...

Looks like you guys are having a great summer! Your kiddos are getting so big...doesn't it just get more fun everyday with these little kids? I'm so jealous of your trip to Bermuda...holy cow I think I seriously was drooling on the key board. I haven't been on a vacation with Bubba since our honeymoon 10 years ago, between school,pregnancy,nursing, and moving there's always been something in the way...so sad, oh well I'll keep dreaming!! You guys are adorable

Limb's Just Branching Out! said...

I hear ya about the swimming, I am currently trying get my children comfortable with the water as well. Last years lessons were not enough!

Kristen Sheranian said...

Wow I am totally the same way when it comes to water and ocean water at that. I think we have similar paranoia about being swallowed by the ocean. I was just telling Nathan that we have to put Canon in swim lessons when he is older. I want my kids to be little swimmers too. Wow that is so cute that Aubrey is walking. She looks adorable. Hope you are doing well. We miss everyone there!

Carleton & Robyn said...

Poor little eye. I love the way you describe the first wabbles-Annie was late too and it's cute to see her scuttle around.

Thank you for your kind comments on my blog. You have always been so understanding and thoughtful.

Jake said...

How funny that your kids complain about swim lessons too. It's so hard to get James to do them, but I think it's such an important skill! Poor Chase's eye, it's a good thing kids are fast healers. B

Ben and Jenny Cox said...

Your family is absolutely adorable! And that black eye just makes me hurt for your little guy. You've been so blessed and I am with you when you say, "where does the time go?" because it truly passes all too quickly. Glad you guys are doing well and having fun!